How to make marijuana tincture: Two marijuana tincture recipes
Marijuana tincture has become increasingly popular in recent years. This is especially true among medical marijuana patients. Marijuana tincture is a liquid form of marijuana that’s either consumed directly, placed in foods/drinks, or placed until the tongue. Marijuana tincture can be made with vegetable glycerin, or alcohol.
Below are two marijuana tincture recipes; one using glycerin, one using alcohol:
Marijuana tincture recipe (using vegetable glycerin):
- In a Quart Mason Jar combine:
- 7 to 14 grams of Decarboxylated Cannabis (the amount depends on the quality of the marijuana, ranging from trim to quality bud) with 2 cups of organic vegetable glycerin
- Cover with a lid and shake the mixture until the marijuana is completely covered with vegetable glycerine.
- Line the bottom of a crockpot with a washcloth (a folded hand towel also works) and fill halfway with warm water.
- Place the sealed jar into the crockpot and cover it. Set it on warm for an entire day (24 hours), and shake occasionally.
- Using an oven mitt, remove the jar from the crockpot. Open the jar and allow to cool for at least an hour.
- Using cheesecloth or a bubble bag, strain the vegetable glycerine into a small bowl or into another jar. Save the cheesecloth bag of leftover material and make a batch of High Chai.
- Transfer vegetable glycerine tincture into dropper bottles using a small funnel (optional).
Marijuana tincture recipe (using alcohol):
What You Need:
- Glass jar with glass lid; mason jars work best (Note: Size doesn’t matter. Just make sure to use a jar that is large enough to remain at least ¼ empty at the top after the ground cannabis is added.)
- Cannabis, coarsely ground
- Everclear (or highest-proof alcohol you can find; Bacardi 151 works well) – 3 – 6 grams of cannabis per 1 fluid ounce of alcohol is a recommended proportion. Make sure the amount of alcohol can fully cover the ground cannabis in the jar.
- Add the coarsely ground cannabis to your jar. Pour alcohol on top of the cannabis, covering it by at least 2 inches.
- Seal the lid tight on the jar and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Place jar in freezer.
- Remove jar from freezer at least twice a day to shake.
- Repeat process for at least 5 days. The potency of the tincture depends on how long your cannabis infuses and how much you shake it.
- Lay 2 sheets of cheesecloth inside your strainer and place the strainer over a bowl.
- Pour contents from jar carefully over the cheesecloth and through the strainer to extract any plant waste. Repeat filtration process if necessary to remove as much excess plant material as possible.
- Wait for all the liquid to pass through then bundle up the waste in the cheesecloth and squeeze out any remaining tincture.
- Pour into glass container or fill dropper bottles. Store tincture in a cool and dark place (refrigerator or freezer is fine).
Marijuana tincture dosage:
The strength of the marijuana tincture you make will depend largely on the quality and amount of marijuana used. If using the same amount of marijuana (that’s roughly the same quality) each time, it becomes easy to determine exactly how much tincture works for you. For some, it’s 1-2 drops, for others it’s more like 5 to 10.